Thursday, September 26, 2013

How to Clean a 90-Year-Old Porcelain Tub


OMGosh, I really can't believe it's 6:34 am and I'm taking photos of our grungy bathtub!

But we have company coming...

Our neighbor across the street likes to say his plumbing was installed in 1923 and upgraded in 1927.

The date on our bathroom sink does indeed say 1923.  I wouldn't dream of replacing it.  Once our grown son came to visit and was confused by the faucets...how did this work?  Separate hot and cold?

Sometimes I feel I'm spitting into an airline sink, but then I still have my grandma's china pitcher and wash basin so I can see how this running water thing was a real step up!  So this is my BEFORE photo -- right after Hubby left for work...I'm not saying it's ANONE'S fault...:)

 
 
But it's really the tub that I want to focus on, since I'm a big "soaker" -- especially with a stiff shoulder...too much gardening yesterday?
 
I found this great information from Apartment Therapy -- what NOT to use on old porcelain....oops...and some new ideas to try...like grapefruit & salt.  I especially like the idea of using lemon oil on the sides (not the bottom unless you're practicing for a surfing competition.)  I bet mineral oil would work well, too.  Our bathroom tub and sink are plumbed for the gray water to go directly to our compost pile so I like to be careful what I use...
 
 
 




Actually, I think some of the grunge in this photo may be on my laptop screen....hmmm.  Guess I'll Google that next...