Saturday, August 17, 2013

New Infusion of Red Wigglers to the Compost Pile

Finally made it to the Prescott Farmer's Market this summer thanks to friend Pattie calling and saying she'd stop by to pick us up.  She went for tamales, Hubby and I went for worms.  Well, I did.  I lost the last bucket that I'd bought and added to the compost.  I was up in Alaska for three months and the dry Arizona winter made the little guys seek happier moist homes. 

Now the compost pile is nice and cooking, getting air from being turned and moisture added daily.  Bought another bucket of worms.  Hopefully will be able to winter them over.

I name them all "Bob" for some reason. 

I stuck in a two foot long perforated stake that was meant to get water down to the roots of a shrub.  I save the sink water (while I'm waiting for the water to get hot) and dump it down the pipe to get moisture into the middle of the compost.  Chicken wire is to keep the...chickens...out.